Sunday, August 12, 2012

My life in a 'Nut'shell!!

The year is 1979:

It was a somber morning, early November, the 5th to be exact. In Southern Germany, in the little town of Neu-Ulm, two of the most amazing people I've ever come to know, prepared for the arrival of their first (and only) child. A little girl they would name Tanja. Not Tan-Juh or Ton-JAY or Tan-gee...it's TON-YA. ME! Okay, so this isn't really some great birth story, I don't remember it first hand, I can only tell you what I recall over the last 33 years. UGH...33 years? Really? It goes by so quickly....

Anyway, I was born to a German mother and American father. My dad was in the U.S. Army, he was stationed in that small town when he met my mother. I only know they met through friends while my mother was a waitress at a small Bistro in town. Her friend was dating my dads friend, and my dad happened to tag along one night and hence, the 35-year-long marriage began...and still going strong! Almost rare anymore, really!



Present Day:

So, here I am. A daughter, wife, mother, friend and enemy to some. (Disclaimer: The enemy part is another blog for another day. I'll have to muster-up the courage to tell those stories. And, some of you already know those stories.) Honestly, I don't even know where to begin this blog...ramblings become me. HA! I suppose I avoided blogging of any type because it seems to be the "in" thing. Friends are doing it, friends of friends are doing it, you get the idea! But, if I'm being honest, there are two bloggers that have given me the courage and idea that maybe it isn't all that bad. Besides, sometimes, writing down how you feel, wanting to tell a story or get a general message across, blogging should come easy. It's natural, right? So, before I continue my life story, this is my shout out to these two very unique storytellers, that inspired me to start blogging.

Ramblings be gone:

I think I'm your average girl. My youth wasn't anything other than ordinary (for me anyway). I spent the majority of my youth growing up in Germany. Traveled around Europe with my parents, grandparents, uncles and cousins. (Sidenote: I've even been to Tunisia, Africa) Had wicked "beer" parties (not that I was able to partake) in my Opa's garage. Rode my bike all over [German] creation. I've eaten plenty of pretzels, semmels, schnitzel and rouladens to last me a lifetime, although they're still my favorites. I really miss the lifestyle sometimes and would die for a "true" Spaghetti Eis (pictured below), right about now.  I was fortunate enough that I was able to grow up living both sides of my heritage. I speak, read and write German fluently, well, as fluently as I can anymore. I've lived in the U.S. now, consecutively, for 13 years. I embrace my heritage and still practice many traditions today. I love blaring Xavier Naidoo on my stereo and I even pay $10 p/month for a German t.v. station on our cable bill. Who does that? Although none of my children know my native language (sadly), I'm pleased to announce my daughter wants to learn now. YAY! So there ya go!


My kidlets:

My daughter, Jenna, was born the day after my 20th birthday. I've had nearly 13 years to reflect on that time of my life, but truth be told, I don't regret a single minute. Not an ounce her being goes unloved and she's everything I am, and even better. Perfection! She's tall, lean, blonde, blue-eyes and just the epitome of everything I'm not. That's a good thing. She's ambitious, smart, witty, charismatic and has a solid head on her shoulders. I JUST LOVE HER!!

Then you have Brody & Ashton. Born 6 years later and although they're twins, I'm often asked how many months apart they are. Every time someone asks that question, I feel my eye start to twitch. Literally. They look nothing alike, they act nothing alike, they're literally NOTHING ALIKE. They're the perfect combination of me and my husband. Ashton is my oddball. He's the only one, of my four, that looks anything like me. In fact, he looks like he was literally carved right out of my left butt-cheek. Brody the braniac. I swear the kid is a genius in sheep's clothing. To say they keep me on my toes, is an understatement. To be continued...

Last but not least, Bonus Baby. The G-Monster. Gun-Gun. Gunny. G-man. Well, actually is name is Gunnar Milo. Gunnar is Scandinavian for "brave soldier". Milo is German for "from the miles". Ironically, he fits his name to a TEE. Some days I wonder if we should have named him "Energizer". The kid just keeps going and going and going and going. You get the idea. He's fearless, just like his dad. If he makes it to his teens, well, I don't know exactly what will happen. I suppose I'll have to build a padded room, because it's the only way he'll make it to adulthood. I swear I'll do it!



Dear Husband:

Oh, hubby dearest, what can I say about him. Lets be honest, he isn't really the man of my "dreams". He's not anything of a man that I ever pictured myself with.  Our meeting was purely accidental. Our courtship was quick, our ensuing marriage was even quicker. I was single for YEARS before we met.  I wouldn't say I settled, that was the last thing I did. He's definitely left me questioning my sanity some days. But, 8 years later, he's definitely the man that I want to spend the rest of my life with. I 'thought' I loved before, but my love for him is nothing short of a godsend. He's tested my patience, my survival, he's made me question myself, he's even made me question him.

Together we've conquered so much in life. No, not raising children (albeit a challenge in and of itself) , not our marriage. But, we've conquered our inner demons together. Things that would have, and probably should have, torn us apart only made us stronger. Together, we've salvaged what was left of our own being. Our humanity. Our friendship. Our lust. Our trust. Most of all, our undeniable LOVE for each other. Sappiness aside; he's everything and more, I could ever imagine in a life partner. I can honestly say, without him, I would fade away into the deep abyss of life. The meaning of love would mean nothing more than that of a tragic [Greek] love story. A dream. A fairy-tale. A myth. So, with that my love; you are my Poseidon and I am your Aphrodite.




1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post!!! I am so loving your blog! It is like I am getting to learn SO many things about you! Known for what seems to be forever but yet so much I never knew... Thanks for inviting us into your life.

    ReplyDelete