Sunday, August 12, 2012

You want me to "Bloom" Where?

Two in one day? Say it ain't so!!!

I've been wanting to write this for some time now...I didn't know where to start and quite frankly, was more afraid it would sound like a knock-off Blog, to one I've recently started following. Remember those "two unique storytellers" that inspired me to start? Well, I'll get to that a little later...

In the meantime

It's no secret that I live the life of an Army wife. I didn't marry the Army, I married a soldier, in the Army. But, this isn't my first rodeo. YEE-HAW! I've traveled the world and have seen a million and one places. With my dad serving for nearly 25 years and by the time I was 18, I had probably done and seen more than the average 18 year-old. I'm grateful for the opportunities I've had. I wouldn't trade them for a million bucks. Well, maybe! HA!

You see, I think I learned my style of adaptation from the master, herself, my mother. She was always really good about picking up, packing and moving thousands of miles from friends and family. She would plant roots, right where we were, and keep growing. She made new friends easily, adapted to new lifestyles like it was her very own. She kept friends, even after the years and miles separated them. She never let fear show, at least not to me. I never had an inkling of an idea, if she was consumed with stress and doubt. Although I'm fairly certain after my years of experience, she had her fair share. I admire her, for her courage, and fortitude to leave her home country, and raise her little family wherever the Army told her to. She's still the one I go to about things (Army related) when I have questions or concerns. But this isn't about any questions I have about the Army, or concerns I have. This is about "blooming".







                    "The problem with Blooming where you're planted is that we grow.
                      We grow like vines, climbing over our obstacles, and reaching out
                      to hold on. A lot of the times, we're holding on to each other. So
                      when one of us leaves, there's a tear that takes place. A rendering in
                      our hearts, an ache in our soul. This happens so many times, so frequently
                      that it is both a blessing and a curse" ~ Rebecca Yarros ~

I've held on to that little snip-it, from a blog, for a few days now. I've toyed with the emotions it brought out in me. It struck a chord with me. Something that left me speechless and, for the last few days, deep in thought. And here I still sit...

It's not the quote, in and of itself, that makes me all weepy, it's what deep down feelings I've been suppressing for some time now. Sure, I've got friends. I've got friends everywhere. And I have some of the best damn friends a girl could ever ask for. You're probably asking yourself; "Well what's her problem then?"  I'll tell you what my problem is; They're not here with me!

Okay, so Kristy is just an hour and half down the road. The first time we'd ever met, in person, was after a nearly 3 day drive up here, to New York, although we were internet friends for well over a year. She opened her home to my family and embraced me with the biggest leg-hump I've ever gotten *wink-wink*. I just love her to bits. Sadly, even with such a short distance, our schedules almost never coordinate, now that she's a working woman. But, I understand. I don't hold it against her. We'll always have the Drive-In, a Toblerone and Thanksgiving dinner. Eventually, we'll meet again!


 Then you have my Bragg girls...Jenn and Jennie. Two of the most AHH-mazing friends I've ever had.

 Jenn, I met my first day, after arriving at Bragg. We met at the little park next to the Inn. I think she noticed the color of my toenail polish. What an odd conversation starter! Whatever it was, it worked. We've laughed together, cried together, partied together. We've even sat in complete silence with each other. I've always said she was the sister I never had. She's a keeper, that's for sure! Even after years apart and major life changes, fate would bring us together again. Well, not entirely, but Rochester will have to do for now.

Jennie. What can I say about Jennie? She's an inspiration in so many ways. She's a lot like me. A product of the military, military wife and mother to 4 beautiful babies.  But, Jennie has that "something" that no one else does. If you ever have the pleasure of meeting her, you'll be just as inspired. I kind of think of her as the "bad girl, gone good". She has that magic hug, when things are so terribly wrong, just one hug from her will make everything, just, go away. Even if it is for a split second. Even though I've questioned my faith, in whatever Deity really does exist, Jennie always had words of encouragement. She always says just the right thing, at right time...




pause, for a good cry....

ALOHA!! Our time in Hawaii came and went. TOO FAST!! But, just like my time at Bragg, it didn't come without meeting some more amazing women. Jessica, Carol, Betsy, Heather!! Each so different in so many ways, but each giving me the gift of true friendship.

Jessica is my southern Florida Girl. Lower Ala-freakin'-Bama if you ask anyone else. She was my first friend on Island. She was also a Bragg girl. We didn't know each other when we were there (oddly at the same). We bonded, almost instantly. We watched each others kids. We were there for our last born's births. I watched her dog, Tika. That yapping mutt...you still owe for that one! There isn't a single moment in the 3 years we spent together, I would change for the world. We'll be life-long friends forever.

Carol, oh carol, where for art thou, Carol!? My buddy. No really, we're a different kind of "friend". There wasn't any one thing that led us to be friends. Unless, of course, our love of pasta and pumpkin cheesecake can be considered that proverbial "bond". It was the selfless, "I'll come rescue you and make you epic pasta" that won me over. Random T.M.I text messages helped too. She's a character, that one! *smooches*

My sweet Betsy. I think I will call her Miss Congeniality. Smart, SO SMART! Almost too smart for me even. She is the voice of reason. Believe me when I tell you that our friendship was not based on similarities. We differed in more ways than one. So much so, we had a pact to NEVER discuss politics with one another. Or any other controversial topic for that matter. We clicked and that was all that mattered. Dave & Busters will never forget us!

Heather. She's a Chair Force, erm, Air Force wife. She's sarcasm! If you look up the meaning in the dictionary, you'll see her picture, right there ---> next to the word. What kind of friend will drive 45 mins (Island time) to your house, just to loan you her vacuum, wait for you to finish, then leave? Oh, I know..HEATHER WILL!! She's a lifer too, I just know it! Even if the chances of us ever being in the same state are as probable as flying pigs.

So I say...


Back to square-one... Good 'Ol Fort Drum, New York.

It isn't that I haven't met any people here. I have. I have met plenty of other wives and moms. I've been on play-dates, chatted up other local wives on local Facebook pages. I suppose it's safe to say that I, or we, haven't connected yet. I just haven't had that "we click" feeling. It's pretty pathetic when you sit here and ponder these things...Making friends use to come easy. Sure, they come and go. Sure, we live vicariously now through the internet, text messages and the occasional phone call. But "blooming" was never an issue before. "Blooming" has never been so hard before. And every day that goes by and I haven't met that one special friend here, another little pedal from that flower, slowly falls to the ground. Slowly withering...

I just haven't bloomed where I was planted!

With that, here is my ode to one of the bloggers that gave me the inspiration for this blog. Thank You Rebecca Yarros!

(her blog: http://theonlygirlamongboys.blogspot.com/2012/01/bloom-where-youre-planted.html#links)


                                         
                                           







1 comment:

  1. Oh my! This one tugs on the ole heartstrings for sure!!! It makes me a wee bit sad for you, honey. So ready for you guys to come home....

    ReplyDelete