Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Volkswagen...DAS AUTO!

Ever wanted anything so badly, you can almost "taste" it?

Ever have a dream about something and just knew, some how, some way, you'd make those "dreams" come true!

This isn't about making millions of dollars, or owning a Yacht, or becoming (in)famously famous. This is about a young girl, who had a vision, a dream and the want for something...

A VOLKSWAGEN!!

And not just any Volkswagen...A 1979 Super Beetle Convertible.

        (photo credit: http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=424133)


Back Story:

I've always been a little on the spoiled side. I admit it. Growing up, there isn't anything that my parents wouldn't do, or get, for me. When I turned 18, I was finally able to drive in Germany (legal driving age over there). My dad had always had this thing about me driving and I was not allowed to drive, or own a vehicle on their dime, unless I could change a tire, the oil and operate a manual transmission. It made sense!

I despised learning to drive a standard and  on the Autobahn, of all things. Germans (or Europeans in general) drive notoriously fast. They're somewhat impatient. Okay, so they're a lot impatient. They love flashing lights at you, when you're going to slow, and the horn is used as frequently as the blinkers. I really hate car horns!!

Just before I was allowed to start learning how to drive, my parents bought my Aunt Petra's 1988 Renault R5 GT. It was a little white, 2-door, with sunroof and sheepskin covers on the seats. I was riding in style!! Well, not quite yet...First, I had to learn to drive that thing...

just in case you need a visual of my little pimp car:


Isn't it beautiful??


So, there I was, learning how to drive. Dad and I would drive to Frankfurt to the little "driving course" and we'd practice. It was actually really cool, because at least I wasn't the only incapable idiot trying to learn how drive, up hill, both ways, in the snow (note the exaggeration). If you drive a standard, you know exactly what I'm talking about! Till this day, I swear every "hill" in Germany had it out for me. I digress. I learned to drive that little white car and I drove it EVERYWHERE! If it weren't for the fact that it was built to metric standard and technically not a "classic" car, I probably would have brought it back to the states with me. *SIGH* 

The point is, while I loved that little car, it wasn't my first choice. I'd always wanted a Beetle. A 1979, and it HAD to be a convertible. Yeah, I'm grateful my parents bought me a car and left me to my free will. But don't think that my car came without any "conditions". I had to pay for my insurance and my petrol. And my parents had every right to take it away if they felt I was abusing the privilege. They never had to. 

Oh there goes my ramblings again. 

Since I didn't get my Beetle and "settled" for the Renault, my parents then made me a promise. Well, my dad made me a promise. Dad keeps his promises too *wink-wink*! The deal was; once I graduated from college, with at least a Bachelors, he would buy me that Beetle. My 1979 Super Beetle Convertible. Just the way I want it. Red, with white-wall tires, mint condition, leather interior. You're probably wondering why 1979, right? First, it was the year I was born. Second, it was the last year they made that particular Beetle before halting production. I guess you can't perfect something that has already been perfected (HA, I make myself laugh). 

So, I'm inching my way closer to owning My vintage, 1979 Super Beetle Convertible *Squeee*. Wait, does that mean, I'm vintage too? In case you're wondering when that will happen...Dad has exactly 669 days, 10 hours, 59 mins and 9....8...7..seconds, till I graduate with my Bachelors. See where I'm going with this?

Lets recap...1979 Super Beetle Convertible....669 days...8 hrs...56 mins...6 seconds.. 


I'll be waiting for my Keys! Please and Thank You!







No comments:

Post a Comment